Unless you properly prepare for tropical storms and hurricanes in advance, not only your property and business, but your life could be at risk. This may require evacuating. Plan your evacuation in advance, especially if you live in a hurricane-prone area.
Have your Evacuation Grab Bags ready to go. Make sure they’re waterproof and easy to carry. Essentials include:
- 2 gallons of water per person, per day for at least 3 days (including animals).
- Non-perishable foods, and a can opener for canned foods.
- Pet food and bowls.
- Clean clothes and toiletries.
- Your medications (for at least 7 days).
- A First-Aid Kit.
- Important documents in a flame and water-proof container.
- Cell phones, chargers and battery backup.
- Cash in small bills ($100 or more).
- A flashlight and extra batteries (LED flashlights last longer).
- A Battery-Powered Radio.
- Spare car and house keys.
- Whistle to signal for help.
- Dust masks to filter contaminated air, and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place.
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- A map with your evacuation route marked
- A wrench or pliers to turn off utilities before you leave.
When you’re ready to evacuate, keep these tips in mind:
- Take roads less traveled. There are often secondary highways and state/provincial roads that go to the same place as major highways or interstates. Use Google Maps to plan your evacuation route.
- Use the Gas Buddy App to know where you can find gas when travelling. Be sure to fuel up at every single opportunity.
- Install the Zello app on your smart phone. Make sure your family members, coworkers and friends do this as well. It’s faster than making a phone call, and saves time texting and emailing. Plus, you can tune into public channels that provide emergency information.
- Don’t wait until the last minute. Use Expedia or hotels.comto book hotels in advance. You can always cancel it if you don’t need it. if needed.
- Unless you have a safe deposit box at your local bank, store your valuables, paperwork and jewelry in your dishwasher. It’s waterproof and built into your cabinets so it won’t blow around.
Be safe everyone.
For more information, visit:
LAN Infotech is a Microsoft Cloud Services Provider, IT Managed Support company and a leader in helping law firms, nonprofits and medical organizations deploy cloud solutions, manage computer networks, keep data protected and top technology management company. Businesses like yours need technology support to run highly-effective organizations.