Is Your Inbox Protected Against Email-Based Threats?
Protecting your inbox is about more than avoiding annoying spam. Are you letting dangerous emails into your inbox?
Email is perhaps the most ubiquitous technology used in the business world today – possibly even more so than the phone. It’s instantaneous, can deliver important files, and doesn’t require the immediate attention that a phone call does.
However, just as it’s popular with consumers around the world, it is just as common a method for hackers targeting unsuspecting businesses. The simple fact is that a misleading email can cause a lot of problems, which is why it’s so important to have the right protections in place.
Are You Protected From Dangerous Emails?
Did you know that phishing is at an all-time high?
This email-based cybercrime threat set records in March of 2020, with 66,000 phishing sites noted in APWG’s Phishing Activity Trends Report for Q1 2020. The number of phishing emails and social engineering scams that use the COVID-19 pandemic as a topic represents the single largest thematic series of cybercrime attacks ever. From credential phishing and malicious attachments to business email compromise and fake landing pages, the coronavirus has been a veritable gold rush for cybercriminals.
It’s these types of emails that you need to filter out of your inbox — just one wrong click, and you, or a member of your staff, could compromise your business’ security.
What Inbox-based Threats Do You Need To Know About?
- Phishing Targeting Your Business: The average phishing attack costs businesses $1.6 million – can you afford to pay that price because one of your staff members can’t recognize a phishing email?
- CEO Fraud: CEO Fraud has quickly become one of the most popular ways for cybercriminals to make money – not too long ago, a University paid out more than $11 million due to CEO Fraud.
- Account Takeover: Taking identity impersonation one step further, account takeovers exploit your compromised user credentials to target both your business’ and your own financial stability and reputation. Cybercriminals will go so far as to access other accounts, such as bank accounts and financial statements, to carry out fraudulent transactions. The fact is that 57 percent of enterprises reported higher fraud losses due to account takeovers. Simply put, the attacker will not just target your business, but utilize it as a gateway to also exploit customer data simultaneously.
- Malicious Malware and Viruses: Did you know that 92 percent of all malware is delivered via email? All it takes is a simple click for an attacker to gain access to your network’s systems and plant malware or a virus.
- Ransomware: A ransomware attack occurs when a hacker breaches your network’s security, encrypts your data, and demands a hefty ransom for the restoration of that data. How expensive could a ransom be? For reference, in Q2 2020, average ransom demands were around $178,254, which was 60 % higher than in Q1 2020 and an incredible 432% higher than in Q3 2019 ($41,198).
- Insider Threats: According to Verizon, over one-third of data breaches worldwide involved internal actors. Insider threats are posed by individuals within your organization or closely related to it, such as current or former employees, vendors, and partners. Acting unwittingly or out of malice, they can easily let an attacker into the system, leaving all your sensitive data exposed.
- Misconfigurations: Misconfigurations in your email platform can expose your network to a host of threats, for example, allowing the sending of emails without authentication. Cybercriminals can take advantage of this, impersonating key staff members and harnessing their authority to cause extensive damage.
If you’re not protecting your email, it’s time to start, before it’s too late — Lan Infotech can help.
Lan Infotech Will Keep Your Inboxes Clean And Secure
In order to keep our clients’ inboxes secure, we implement a range of proven defenses and best practices, defending users against a range of email-based scams and distractions:
- Blatant malware threats as well as scams that don’t involve malware, including impostor emails and business email compromise (BEC).
- Granular email filtering controls eliminate spam, keeping users focused, and inboxes organized.
- Business continuity capabilities keep email communications up even when the server is down.
Start securing your inboxes in three simple steps:
- Book a free cybersecurity consultation with our team at a time that works for you.
- Find out how the right email security solutions will improve the state of your inboxes.
- Enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing your email isn’t putting you at risk.
LAN Infotech is a Microsoft Cloud Services Provider, IT Managed Support company and a leader in helping law firms, nonprofits and medical organizations deploy cloud solutions, manage computer networks, keep data protected and top technology management company. Businesses like yours need technology support to run highly-effective organizations.